15 February 2012

Off to PORTUGAL!


Hello,
 
I feel like I've been here forever. I'm so ready to leave but it’s so very true how my companion put it, she said that the MTC is like our womb. We're so safe, protected and comfortable here but it’s our time to leave. I have loved every minute here and all the wonderful people I've met and relationships I have made.
 
This week was great. We were so excited to go on our last temple walk yesterday but we were snowed in and weren’t allowed to go.  So we took tons of pictures inside with the branch and made it fun.
 
We had infield orientation on Friday which was pretty cool. They talked about how we contact, find and how to work with members in our missions.  We were able to meet some of the missionaries from “The District", they're like MTC celebrities. It's funny because we've watched video clips from their missions every class for the last two months.  We had our departure devotional last night; it was nice so see all the missionaries that are departing.
 
At orientation they told us they have a 12 week training program that started in August where all new missionaries have one extra hour of companionship study in the morning.  In Portugal we wake up at 7am not 6:30am and go to bed at 11pm instead of 10:30pm because Portuguese people stay out and eat dinner around 8-10 pm.  So this should make us more effective as missionaries.  Our teacher Brother Mateer was in our same mission (he has been home for about a year).  He told us about the food, culture, President Torgan, and different areas in Portugal.  I don’t think I've ever been so excited in my life! I'm nervous because when the Portuguese people start talking to me and I will think to myself this is not what I have been learning the last 2 months!
 
This week what I have really been learning over and over is to stop wanting what I want and want what the Lord wants and to completely subject myself to the will of the Lord. Every time I pray I should pray for help to make His wants, my wants. This Mission is not about me. The more I serve others and completely trust in the Lord He will shape me into the person He wants me to be and help the people He wants me to help. If I do so, then I will feel closer to the Spirit and let it guide me to people who are prepared to accept the Gospel.
 
Yesterday during our fireside I was thinking about all the powerful testimonies I have heard over the years that have stuck with me, especially the testimonies of all the members of my family, my friends, my seminary teachers, my advisors, my church leaders and powerful converts.  These testimonies have always resonated with me and helped strengthen my own testimony.  Thank you all for your faith.
 
As soon as I get to my new area in Portugal I will email my new address.  I'm so excited I can barely stand it. A man from orientation challenged me to make the first contact before my trainer does.  I'll probably just run up to some random person and yell OLÁ!....and then not know what to do next.  It will be awesome and awkward all at the same time.  I can't wait!
 
Well I love you all and I'm looking forward to writing you all next week from PORTUGAL! Ah I wonder where my first area will be. I know it will be just what the Lord wants :)  Have a wonderful week. You're all in my prayers!
 
xoxoxo
Irmã Nelson
 





1 comment:

leave some love.